The newly constructed County Line Way Bridge is 22ft wide and 138ft in length and took 2 ½ years to complete (initial grant application to completed construction). The bridge cost $425,000 to build and was funded using federal transportation funding through the Highway Bridge Program (HBP) for Off-System Bridge Replacement and Rehabilitation (BRO). HBP/BRO provides funding to counties for replacement or rehabilitation of deficient bridges. The BRO funding, utilized in Adair County, is administered by the Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT).
HBP/BRO funds are administered according to the following:
- The current transportation bill requires at least 15% of the state's total bridge appropriation in a fiscal year be allocated for use on off-system bridges (BRO). The Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission approves the amount of funds allocated to this program. Off-system bridges are bridges located on roads functionally classified as a local road or street and rural minor collectors.
- BRO funds allocated to the counties are based on the ratio of the replacement cost of the square footage of deficient bridge deck in the county to the replacement cost of the square footage of deficient bridge deck in all counties of the state. A compilation of MoDOT BRO & Soft Match Credit Balances by county is available.
- BRO funds may be programmed by counties for future projects. If the county does not have a sufficient balance of off-system bridge funds, they may borrow up to three years of future allocations for preliminary engineering or one year of future allocation for construction costs.
There are times when exceptions will be considered; either for an emergency project or when a county receives a small allocation:
- Emergency Project - When a bridge has fallen down or washed out and is essential for travel in the area, MoDOT will consider allowing the county to exceed its amount of available funds by more than the guidelines.
- County Receives Small Allocation - Some counties do not receive enough allocation to reasonably finance a bridge project. Some allowance may be made for these counties to exceed the guidelines.
Adair County is currently working on two HBP/BRO project and will seek to replace bridges on Tiger Way and Archer Lane. The Adair County Commission expects those projects to be completed by 2021.